Thursday, 4 October 2012

Music And Me

For me, music acts as a sort of sanctuary.

Today, I have had a particularly hard day, from which I retired home exhausted. However, to my amazement, after listening to only a few songs on my iPod, I was ready to tackle ten pieces of homework, and even finish off some coursework laying around my dishevelled bedroom.
Those few songs happened to be 'I Will Wait' by Mumford and Sons, 'Summer Paradise' by Simple Plan, 'Call It What You Want' by Foster the People, and 'A-Team' by Ed Sheeran.
The contrast of melodies between these songs is undeniably obvious, but the unique rhythms and catchy tunes made me mentally buzz at the prospect of homework.
I danced around the house for a couple of moments whilst my dogs watched on in amazement, and I was thankful that there was no-one else present to witness the sheer volume of my mad outburst.

For this reason, I am thankful that I can appriciate music in it's true form, and I take it's effects for granted sometimes. I am often motivated by some drum and bass whilst running, or relaxed by some indie tunes whilst unwinding. Music can often enhance or change your mood.
For example, if you're a woman and you've just suffered a terrible break up, the last thing you're going to want to hear is any Jason Mraz or Ed Sheeran.
No, you're going to want to hear some motivational, heartfelt songs by strong, independant women like Kelly Clarkson or Christina Aguilera.

And if you're on the way to work, you really don't want sleazy some song echoing through your ears about failure and being down in the dumps. No! You're going to need something upbeat, something to put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.

See, when you really analyse the music you listen to and why it can be a real journey in discovering who you are as a person. I myself don't have a particular preferance in music genre, I'm partial to most things apart from hardcore rock.
I was brought up heavily surrounded by the work of Elvis, Michael Jackson and Madonna. These are my mother's favourites and even to this day there is not one song of theirs I don't know off by heart.
But when it comes down to it, I love Ed Sheeran, as well as the bands I previously mentioned, along with a bit of Drake and Michael Buble.

I add (with slight embarassment) that for me, there's nothing better than a Christmas song, no matter what time of year it is. I constantly have Michael Buble and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums at hand, and the festive feeling seems universally uplifting to me. Mad, I know.

In conlusion, I don't know where I'd be without music. And it wasn't until today until I realised what an important role it plays in my life, and other's lives as well. I bet there are millions of people who have once walked down the road and it's poaring with rain, you're soaked through. It's been a tough day and you're listening to the most depressing song on your playlist, and ultimately feeling like you're in a music video.
I'm glad I'm not the only one...

No comments:

Post a Comment